This checklist provides tips and information to help you prepare to work remotely during the COVID-19 crisis situation.
During a crisis such as COVID-19, work teams often find themselves working quickly and outside of their normal routine. It is essential that managers and team members alike keep the lines of communication open for optimal engagement, productivity and morale.
Tips for managers
Connect with your team members as a group or individually to:
- ensure team members are okay
- update team members on departmental direction
- identify a communication strategy, for example, confirm that employees are getting departmental messages, confirm frequency of communication touch points
- share clear work expectations with you team members during this period
Confirm which employees are teleworking, are on annual leave or are on leave in response to COVID-19.
Support team members as needed, for example, determine which team members need one-on-one chats or more frequent check-ins.
Be flexible and human. Your team will be working from home and may have family members creating additional demands on their time. They may also be experiencing anxiety or feeling isolated and alone.
Tips for team members
Connect with your colleagues and manager to:
- ask questions
- confirm communication channels on how to get the most up-to-date information on working arrangements during the COVID-19 outbreak
- clarify your manager's expectations during this time
- share best practices regarding working remotely
- talk about your concerns to avoid anxiety about any ambiguous expectations
Keep aware about which colleagues are teleworking or are on leave.
Be kind to yourself. This may be a period of anxiety for you and your loved ones, so take care of yourself. Do not hesitate to reach out to your supervisor, your team members or the Employee Assistance Program for support.
Check your departmental directives about IT and bandwidth usage, for example, VPN access, email usage, text messages.
Confirm which communication tools you can use for your team.
Information for Government of Canada employees: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
Podcasts and Blogs:
Infosheet: COVID-19: Mental Health @ Work
For more information: canada.ca/coronavirus